Blog Ownership / Send email rule

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Aug 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Orchard. I'm using v1.5.1.

My site has three blogs within it each owned by a different user; although I believe I created the blogs as webmaster (admin) and then changed the ownership later on the blog properties page.

I'm trying to create a rule so that when a comment is submitted against a particular blog post an email is sent to the owner (author) of the blog. I'm trying to do this using a rule and the Send e-mail action.

So on the Rules page in the Dashboard I've created a rule with an Event of when content with type comment is created and an Action of send an email.

On the Edit Action - Send e-mail page, when I choose the Owner "Send to" option no email is sent. If I specify an the address in "Other" instead it works ok. So I know it is not the email settings or the address, it seems Orchard isn't getting the blog owner's email address correctly.

So my question is, how do I find the email address of the owner of the blog the comment is being written for, and how can I make this available to the Send-email rule?

Any help or pointers from the more experienced Orchard world would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Glyn.

UPDATE:

Having poked about in the database I know I can get the information I'm after using a query like this (probably not the best way, but I am only tinkering/exploring)

select c.Author as [Comment Author], c.CommentText as [The Comment], d.Title as [Blog Title], a.Username as [Blog Author], a.Email as [Author Email]   
from Orchard_Users_UserPartRecord a, Common_CommonPartRecord b, Orchard_Comments_CommentPartRecord c, Title_TitlePartRecord d 
where (c.ID = 81 AND c.CommentedOn = 78AND (
d.ContentItemRecord_id = c.CommentedOn AND
c.CommentedOnContainer = b.id AND 
b.OwnerID = a.id )

The values for c.ID and c.CommentedOn are available in the Edit Action, so now I just need to figure out how to make use of the query and the data it returns to construct a useful and informative email directed to the author of the blog to alert them to the comment being made.

Suggestions welcomed, laughter listened to.

Glyn.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You're trying to send an e-mail to the owner of the comment. You need to send an e-mail to the comment's container's container's owner: the comment is in a post that is in a blog, whose owner you are interested in.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Can it be done? My head has just exploded... :-)

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Sure: container is on the common part.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Ok, I can see {Content.Container} as one of the things to use in the list, but how do I go about stringing these things together to end up returning the text of the comment's container's container's owner?

This is the bit which foxes me.

Can you explain/show the answer or point me to the documentation please? I must be looking in the wrong place, for the wrong thing, or just plain missed it.

Thanks,

Glyn.

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Tokens are made to be chained. {Content.Container.Container.Owner.Email} should pretty much do the trick.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Hi,

I'm obviously wearing my stupid hat.

I just tried your {Content.Container.Container.Owner.Email} suggestion and it returns nothing.

I even tried breaking it down into its parts and each part returned nothing.

Other than giving myself a slap, what else can you suggest? :-)

Thanks,

Glyn.

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Attach a debugger and set a breakpoint in one of those tokens.