Orchard CMS: The resource cannot be found.

Topics: Core, Troubleshooting
Aug 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I have a website running on Windows 2k8 and SQL Server 2008 Standard, using the Orchard CMS system.

This website has been functioning correctly until 1 day ago when i recieved a call from someone to say the website was in accessible.

Checking the website says that:
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /cms

No changes have been made to the server, configuration etc of the server. The users may have change some of the content in the CMS system.

Im now at a loss as to how to get this website back up and running?

I can post results of any investigations you would like me to do. I have rebooted the server, deleted and re-created the application pool running in ASP v.4 framework but still the resource cannot be found.

The file system has not changed so there shouldnt be any core files missing to get this to work

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Orchard version is the latest one from the downloads by the way.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

what do you see in app_data\logs?

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:48 AM

2012-08-16 00:49:59,996 [7] Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost - A tenant could not be started: Default
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\websites\xxx\xxx.co.uk\htdocs\cms\App_Data\cache.dat' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   at Orchard.FileSystems.AppData.AppDataFolder.CreateFile(String path, String content) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\FileSystems\AppData\AppDataFolder.cs:line 112
   at Orchard.Environment.Descriptor.ShellDescriptorCache.Store(String name, ShellDescriptor descriptor) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Environment\Descriptor\ShellDescriptorCache.cs:line 91
   at Orchard.Environment.ShellBuilders.ShellContextFactory.CreateShellContext(ShellSettings settings) in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Environment\ShellBuilders\ShellContextFactory.cs:line 73
   at Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost.CreateAndActivateShells() in d:\Builds\OrchardFull\src\Orchard\Environment\DefaultOrchardHost.cs:line 135
2012-08-16 00:50:01,418 [7] Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost - A tenant could not be started: Default

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM

After checking this log i have re-checked permissions on the cache.dat file, re-applied and all working ok now.

thank you so much, your help is greatly appreciated.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the tip.

I want to add that I got the same error message, but for a different reason. The message is very vague, so looking at the log is the key.

In my case, the connection string was not valid anymore after the Orchard was migrated to a different server.

Hong