Navigation in 1.5.1 - general issues

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Aug 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I was looking forward to the new navigation in 1.5x to give drop down menus but am experiencing issues I hope to get some help on.

I have found the null entry issue on upgrading a site from advanced menus, deleted the null record (several times) and recreated the menu so it looks visually similar. I now find I cannot actually access the sub menu items - they are obscured by content below the zone (opacity?) and disappear before I can select!

On another site using standard 1.4.2 navigation I created one drop down with no issues - but cannot seem to add more than this one drop down. I may have recreated the null record I suppose - I will check later.

I am not a master of css and had hoped the new menus would initially work 'out of the box'. Where do I need to look to resolve ? As a short term fix I will use a new menu as a widget but this, if it works, will only be a temporary fix.

I someone could suggest where I should look it would hopefully save me loads of time... at this moment I really just want a quick fix!

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I cannot reproduce what you're saying: when I setup a clean installation and add some sub menu items to the Home menu item, they all appear on top of the content, not below. Perhaps your menu is partially obscured by some Flash movie or other ActiveX component?

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

This is not the case however, and I have found the issue on two other sites of mine when conversion. It seems the page content is for example is obscuring the navigation. These sites all use variants on TheThemeMachine and can be reproduced from a new download.

I have resolved this in the CSS - taken from TheThemeMachine 1.5 standard site.css

nav > ul > li > ul { margin: 24px 0px 0px -1px; padding:0px; display:none; position:absolute; border: 1px solid #dbdbdb;z-index:1;}

This appears to resolve the issue ... I suspect I will have to revisit the css for other levels.

I hope I have got this right, do please reassure me :) - maybe this thread will get a better solution

Thanks - I really appreciate the active discussions here