Ideas for content preview functionality

Topics: Core, General
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I think there could be preview feature for content items just like it is for themes: to preview themes, you can browse the whole site by looking at it through the selected theme, but only you see the preview (so it doesn't effect other users) and there's a toolbar on the top where you can switch themes.

I've though about a very similar feature for content items: have such a toolbar, with options for selecting the version for all content items. Currently I can think of two possibilities: show the latest version (including drafts) of every item, or only show published versions. Basically this would only need a modification to ItemController on the frontend logic and if widgets will be versioned too, to the mechanism that fetches widgets (and to Orchard.Core.Containers.Controllers.ItemController, if it wouldn't be already being got rid of as also mentioned here).

What do you think?

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Yes, please. I think it would be nice to be able to preview the whole site at a specific date, taking scheduled publications and expiration into account. Having a preview bar like for themes is nice for that. Draft versions could be a simple checkbox, in addition to the date picker.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Good ideas, I've opened two issues for this: here and here.