navigation breadcrumbs issue, 1.5.1

Topics: Core, General, Troubleshooting
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Without ticking 'Display as Breadcrumb' in edit 'MainMenu' all works fine!

When 'Display as Breadcrumb' is ticked I do NOT see any MainMenu items NOR Breadcrumbs
in addition:
when 'Add the home page as the first element' is ticked I get in the main Menu 'HOME' (for some reason not 'Accueil' as I named the home page AND it always show in the Navigation Zone NOT in the BeforeMain (breadcrumb) Zone

The  MainMenu is in the Navigation Zone, the breadcrump widget in the BeforeMain Zone

Update from july 29.:
I have been learning/testing some more around this subject and come to the conclusion that I might miss some 'components! why:

just consumed the Sebastian Ros' video on YT. e.g he is able in  Navigation to indent a tab which finally, on the front end, shows correctly below the mother tab - on my system its always beside the mother tab on 1. level! Or, do I need to do this using CSS .....!

In other words around Navigation, breadcrumbs, menu it does not look like the doc says!

What am I possibly missing here?

Thanks for your time and hints, ed

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

"Home" is a localizable string, i.e. it is not something that is the same as the homepage's title, but it is set in a driver. If it is localized properly, it will show in the site's language.

The UI with breadcrumbs is probably confusing (I'd rather have a separate Breadcrumbs widget). You need two widgets: one for the menu and one for breadcrumbs. The latter one is "Display as breadcrumb".

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I'm still having problems when working with the 'Navigation' on a migrated project from 1.4.2 (which used the Szmyd Menu).

Now I decided to load a 'virgin' Orchard 1.5.1
-   I defined 4 pages which all show correctly in the Main Menu.
-  but now I do NOT have a 'Breadcrumb Widget' !
- when ticking in the in the Main Menu 'breadcrumbs' the Main Menu disappears alltogether !

? where could I read more on this new 'navigation' business ?
? or is there an update for this ?

thanks for your time and help, ed

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I don't think you need a breadcrumbs widget, as the Menu widget can be displayed as breadcrumbs. I have tested this, and it works fine. Not sure why it would dissapear on your installation though.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Edited Jul 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I start now to believe that the 'breadcrumb widget' I still see  on my migrated project is the one from 'Szmyd' ....!?

But in the 'virgin' 1.5.1 , when ticking 'display as breadcrumb' on my Main Menu ALL tabs for the Main Menu disappear and NO breadcrumbs appear!?
Another observation: when I tick ALL all 3 breadcrumbs fields; it seems I get the breadcrumbs with'/' in beetween but still no NO Menu!?
Again, the Main Menu shows correctly (without ticking 'display as breadcrumb') ; by clicking the tabs the pages show correctly ...

what the h... am I doing wrong?  ed

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM

The menu is either menu or breadcrumb. So, add a new widget for the same menu, check "Display as Breadcrumb", "Add the home page as the first element" and "Add the current content item as the last element" and then take a look at your page. Is that what you're looking for?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM

thanks a lot to all  .. once one knows it its very easy and logical ...
I read almost every articel on this subject but can't remember an explanation like yours ... which claryfies everything!
well, it's probably my old brain, ed

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM

My breadcrumbs works fine till I come to a blog post.

When it comes to a blog post detail page, the breadcrumbs display nothing.

Isn't a blog post a content item ?

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

A blog post is a content item. The question should be: is the blog post a menu item?