NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver

Topics: Installing Orchard
Jul 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Still new to Orchard and experienced an issue upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5. The site won't load. Here are the entries in the log:

2012-07-22 19:39:37,166 [89] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriverSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriver.<>c__DisplayClass9.<Display>b__7() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Navigation\Drivers\MenuWidgetPartDriver.cs:line 46   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClassf.<ContentShape>b__e(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 129   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClass15.<ContentShapeImplementation>b__14(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 138   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.ApplyImplementation(BuildShapeContext context, String displayType) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 39   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.Apply(BuildDisplayContext context) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 21   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator.<>c__DisplayClassa.<BuildDisplay>b__9(IContentPartDriver driver) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\Coordinators\ContentPartDriverCoordinator.cs:line 49   at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 172012-07-22 19:39:37,197 [89] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Contoso.ShapeProviders.ContentShapeProvider.<Discover>b__3(ShapeDisplayingContext displaying)   at Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.<>c__DisplayClassc.<Execute>b__3(Action`1 action) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:line 68   at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brad

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Removed Advanced Menu module and all is well. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I am getting the same error in 1.5.1:

2012-08-29 00:00:03,575 [68] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriver
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriver.<>c__DisplayClass9.<Display>b__7() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Navigation\Drivers\MenuWidgetPartDriver.cs:line 83
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClassf.<ContentShape>b__e(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 129
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClass15.<ContentShapeImplementation>b__14(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 138
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.ApplyImplementation(BuildShapeContext context, String displayType) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 39
   at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17

I do not have Advanced Menu module installed, though I did before upgrading to 1.5.0.

Part of my concern in this is that I am running multiple tenants, but I do not see from the error which tenant may be the source of the error.

Although it is not seeming to affect my sites in any negative manner other than consuming disk IO in making contant writes, it is filling up my log files making it difficult to source out legitimate issues and consuming a rather large amount of disk space (140 Mb per day).

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM

wow, 140MB a day? Yes, that is a problem. You may want to remove all the tables from the old advanced menu.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I am still getting these errors after clearing out all AdvancedMenu tables and after going through each of the new Navigation tables and removing all items that contained null values in any of the fields (after doing a backup). Admittedly my log file size is now greatly reduced to nearly 1/10 the size I was getting before, although that may be because of the changes I made on the search engine crawl schedule on the same day.

2012-09-30 00:00:02,744 [31] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriver
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Orchard.Core.Navigation.Drivers.MenuWidgetPartDriver.<>c__DisplayClass9.<Display>b__7()
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClassf.<ContentShape>b__e(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 129
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentPartDriver`1.<>c__DisplayClass15.<ContentShapeImplementation>b__14(BuildShapeContext ctx) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentPartDriver.cs:line 138
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.ContentShapeResult.ApplyImplementation(BuildShapeContext context, String displayType) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Drivers\ContentShapeResult.cs:line 39
   at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17

When I compare with the site IIS log files the errors seem to correspond with 404 errors. I am using the Vandelay Fail module for my 404 errors.