Continuously receiving Access Denied, after running flawlessy live for weeks?

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jul 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

G’day guys, I have had a 1.4 site up and running for quite a while now [no issues], but recently – less than a month – I’ve been getting ‘Access Denied’ screens when traversing the backend even though I’m logged in as the super user Admin.  Essentially, when I log in as admin, I can click a few links before being signed out with ‘Access Denied’, when I log back in, it will take me to where I left off.  Has anyone else experienced such, it’s getting quite unusable as I have to log in around 10 times just to change one checkbox?

Any thoughts guys – very strange as I haven’t changed anything. Thanks for any thoughts / advice, Cheers

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Can you check you have a valid machine key in the web.config, and your cookies are not flushed by any browser plugin ?

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Thanks sebastienros, sorry for the tardy reply, but I suspect you were right re: issues with the webconfig, as the problem mysteriously went away after I re-unzipped a back-up? I can no longer replicate the issue, though upon investigating prior to unzipping, I discovered most of the files on the server had different mod dates to what I uploaded originally [roughly around the time the issue started occurring, and subsequently, webconfig file sizes were slightly out], so I can only assume my host has made some structural changes and something went amiss with the webconfig? Anyhow, all is running how it was, so thanks a lot. Cheers Dyr

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I just wanted to say adding a machine key to the web.config resolved this problem for me. Thanks for the guidance.