Localization and Routing

Topics: Localization
Jul 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hi everybody!

I 'm a bloody beginner in this (Orchard) arena.

As the subject implies i want to know if it is possible to switch from one culture (en-US) to another (de-DE) or (fr-FR) using a culture picker or another "mechanism".

Is it also possible to have routes like this (for the same page):

domain/de-DE/Controller/Action/2323/Artikel-Name-auf-Deutsch

domain/en-US/Controller/Action/2323/Article-Name-in-English ....

or something like that?

Thanks in advance

Developer
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM

It's all possible - take the Culture Picker module as an example (it's there in the Gallery).
Using Alias, you can setup multiple urls pointing to the same resource.
However, I think what you really want is to be able to localize content items, where each localized version has its own url. In that case you should install the Localization module (also to be found on the Gallery). It allows you to create localized versions of any content item, and each localized version will have its own url (assuming that the content type has the AutoroutePart attached, like the Page content type).

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Thanks for the reply sfmskywalker,

indeed i must have the ability to create different versions of any content item. What i am really concerned about is SEO: i don't know how it will be affected if i have route like

domain/2323/Artikel-Name-auf-Deutsch

instead of

domain/de-DE/2323/Artikel-Name-auf-Deutsch (i 've taken out the controller/action part from the initial post).

If i understand you correct, you suggest that for the different localized versions of the same content one can have such kind of routes:

domain/Der-Bericht-auf-Deutsch (german version)

domain/Article-written-in-english (english version)

Is the localization module able to do handle this?

Developer
Jul 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for that tip!

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The idea of Vitus.Localization module is really nice, but it isn't working properly, right? At least for me it's not working (I had the tokens to a page autoroutepart, for example, and nothing happens)

I want to do almost the same as soppiadis and the best module I found was Culture Picker. The problem is that it doesn't have the necessary tokens to use on the autoroute part of the localized contents.

Has anyone implemented that tokens yet? I'm trying to figure how to do it, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Joao