Le Harvest a week earlier?

Topics: Announcements, General
Jul 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

On the Steering Committee meeting a date of 8-9. September was mentioned for the Orchard conference. Couldn't this be a week earlier, so 1-2. September? For us in Hungary university starts on the 10th (perhaps for other students involved in Orchard, if there are any, too?), so unless you guys in the US can organize us an SR-71 Blackbird for the return flight (which opportunity I'd be more than happy to take) this is a bit of a problematic schedule :-). I realize there are many factors to consider, but if the date is somehow flexible for now, could we discuss the option of having the conference the previous week?

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Pretty early! Consider moving to Poland to have longer holidays - we start at Oct, 1st;)

Isn't missing one/two days a big deal? Attending a conference on the other side of the globe seems like a good excuse for absence (of course if we're speaking about CS students) and actually speaks well about student attitude and determination to learn stuff!

Don't know if it could be changed, but my guess is no - there are too many constraints (speakers, venue, accomodation deals and so on).

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Then that's the second thing to envy besides your pretty girls :-).

I definitely plan to attend the conference, no matter what. It's just that from the discussions about the topic I got the idea that this is a preliminary date that possibly can be changed. I'm asking for considering the earlier date if and only if nothing is yet fixed for the current one.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

True be that;) 

For me it's indifferent, so if it could be changed - that's fine. Let's see what others think about that?

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

No matter what the date is, there will be people we would love to have who won't be able to come unfortunately.