[1.5 RC] How is the new hierarchical menu intended to be localized?

Topics: General, Localization
Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I have problems in understanding how the hierarchical menu gets used in conjunction with localized content pages.

From my understanding of using the navigation: If I switch to a localized page the navigation should display the localized navigation title, but instead it displays the default title.

Please help me understand how to build the navigation for a multilingual web site.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Edited Jul 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I think you have to install the module http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Ipertrade.CultureLayer and make for each language a different menu widget on a culture specific layer

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think you can do it in two different ways, depending on how you manage your localized contents. First, you can manage different versions of a menu, and display them based on a layer that differentiates on culture (see Znowman's link). Alternatively, you can add the localization part to the menu item type and localize each menu item.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM

And if you add LocalizationPart to your menu items, then the Navigation part will render them all but on the front-end only the ones for the current culture will be used. That's a missing feature that will come in next version: a way to filter menu items on the admin side based on the culture. Will be needed in the Navigation but also in the Widgets and Content pages.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The localization part is exactly what I've searched for! But somehow it doesn't work for me.

I've added the Localization Part to the "Content Menu Item" Content Type and added the translated text for the menu items, but if I switch to the localized page in the fronted the text of the menu item is still displayed in the default culture.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You need an implementation of ICultureSelector to effectively change the current culture. Just navigating to content of another culture won't do that.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM

or donwload the culture picker module from the gallery