Orchard Media distribution in a Web Farm environment

Topics: Administration, General
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

We will be installing Orchard on a Web Farm with 4 web servers. When a content manager uploads images to orchard via the media interface in the Dashboard, the file will lie on a specific server the image is uploaded to at that point in time. Is there an elegant and quick way of distributing / synchronising these images across the remaining servers as they are uploaded?

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Ended up using Windows Distributed File System (DFS). Hopefully will be stable enough.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM

That should work, yes, but another solution would be to look at the Azure file provider and adapt it to your use. But yes, DFS will work.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

There are a bunch of modules otherwise, Azure like Bertrand suggested, Amazon S3, and maybe a better solution is the MEdia Folder module which lets you specify a shared folder.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you for the suggestions Bertrand and Sebastien. Currently we have our own server farm with ample storage so it will not be worth purchasing additional bandwidth and storage from Amazon S3 or through hosted Azure as the majority of our traffic will be local (South Africa), and it would be better hosting in SA due to international broadband limitations here in SA. Will investigate media folder module, but from what I understand it uses a central file share that negates redundancy if the file share server fails, as well as scalability for high demand which we often have when running online sales. Having 4 servers serving content through NLB is more ideal for us. I do not have enough time currently to investigate and adapt an Azure file provider for our purpose Bertrand as we will be going live next week, but will certainly explore this post go-live. With regards Azure and the blob storage model, does it play nice with image caching?

Just to reiterate again what everyone else has already said so far... thanks to all who have contributed to Orchard and the major effort put in by all. It is an amazing platform and I will be using it for many projects in the future.