Exposing Orchard content through SiteMapProvider

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
May 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Edited May 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I need to integrate Orchard with existing ASP.NET sites and apps (I guess I'm talking "One ASP.NET").  The user doesn't want to know that she has gone from ASP.NET to ASP.NET MVC to Orchard.  The site should look, feel and work the same.

The problem with this is the menus:  Orchard doesn't have a web.sitemap file that can be exposed to the app using the sitemapprovider class.  

So with integration in mind, It strikes me that a module *could* be written to maintain the "sitemap" in Orchard and then expose this to the web apps, so that, for example, a Menu Control in ASP.NET can generate the same menu that appears on the Orchard instance's pages.

However, and this is the real problem, I don't know how to do this. And I don't even know if this is possible.  I am encouraged by modules such as Advanced Sitemap, but this is really for creating a sitemap.xml file for SEOs.  However, most of the work and UI is done, it *just* needs the tooling to output sitemap nodes...

Does anything like this exist and I am missing it?

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I am also interested in using the content of the menus to create a sitemap.xml for the SEO, as well as using it to implement a sitemap-style menu in the footer of a Orchard Theme for navigation.

I would be interested in how this was done and the implementation details. I am a seasoned developer but new to Orchards CMS (using version 1.8) there seems to be a dated Advance Sitemap module, but as best as I can tell it does not work with the latest version and the docs are remedial and not much help for first time users.

Any insight/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,