Can't get shape tracing to work

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
May 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with my module (it doesn't seem to be picking up the right view), and enabling the shape tracing feature seemed like an obvious troubleshooting step. But I can't get it to work. If I enable it, one of two things happens:

(1) On some pages, (a) Firebug shows an "unterminated string literal" error message, like so:

unterminated string literal 
...ldren": [{ "name": "Text", "value": "\"<div style=\"height: 300px;\" id...slides...
dev.alanta.com (line 1429, col 7694) 

And (b) the bottom of the page fills up with several thousand lines of JSON that look like this:

\"" }, {"name": "Id", "value": "22" }] }, {"name": "CommonPart", "value": "CommonPart", "children": [{ "name": "Owner", "value": "null" }, {"name": "CreatedUtc", "value": "4/12/2012 8:26:49 PM" }, {"name": "PublishedUtc", "value": "4/12/2012 8:26:49 PM" }, {"name": "ModifiedUtc", "value": "4/17/2012 11:05:26 PM" }, {"name": "VersionCreatedUtc", "value": "4/12/2012 8:26:49 PM" }, {"name": "VersionPublishedUtc", "value": "4/12/2012 8:26:49 PM" }, {"name": "VersionModifiedUtc", "value": "4/17/2012 11:05:26 PM" }, {"name": "Id", "value": "22" }] }, {"name": "IdentityPart", "value": "IdentityPart", "children": [{ "name": "Identifier", "value": "\"be3b4f0e3299423d88b51e21b34550ad\"" }, {"name": "Id", "value": "22" }] }, {"name": "InfosetPart", "value": "InfosetPart", "children": [{ "name": "Id", "value": "22" }] }] }, {"name": "Zones", "value": "ZoneCollection" }, {"name": "Id", "value": "22" }, {"name": "TypeDefinition", "value": 

(2) On other pages, nothing seems to happen whatsoever. If I look at the page source, I can see the metadata that the shape tracer is adding, but nothing is different in the UI of the page. Firebug doesn't show any errors.

I've tried disabling my module, and have reverted to TheThemeMachine for my theme, but neither seems to make any difference.

Any suggestions about how to troubleshoot the shape tracing feature, so that I can start troubleshooting my module? :-)

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Does it work if you disable your module?

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If you give me this module I can see what is causing this. It would require to debug the object tree generation which is based on reflection. Maybe you are using a kind of not expected data structure.

May 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Neither disabling my module, nor reverting back to TheThemeMachine theme seems to have any effect on whether shape tracing shows up. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing to enable shape tracing besides just enabling the Shape Tracing feature?

For what it's worth, you can see #1 by visiting http://www.beta.alanta.com/, and #2 by visiting http://www.beta.alanta.com/GetStarted.

May 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Well, I've managed to get my widget working without using the shape tracer. But I'd still like to get the shape tracing to work. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that might help troubleshoot this.