Content permissions

Topics: Administration, General
May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I've created a restricted Role for site content administrators that only has access to publish pages, blog posts, moderate comments etc.

I've got a list of images in my design that I expose through a projection (content type-RHS Image, List of RHS Images, Query for List of RHS Images with filter, Projection of query - please tell me if I've overcomplicated this...)

When I try to edit an image with the restricted user I get the Access Denied message -

Couldn't publish content. Current user, siteadmin, does not have PublishContent permission.

But when I give the Role PublishContent permissions, the user is able to create, update projections by way of effective permissions. The users are definitely not going to know what a projection is so I'd like them to at least not see these options in the admin menu. Is there a way to split PublishContent from Projections? Suggestions?

Thanks again,

May 3, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I removed the list and a few other things and this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

May 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I have a user with role for publishing post but where can I find a link for create the post? I don't have access to admin panel? I should create a other menu, specialy for user privilages?

May 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I think you need to assign the "Access admin panel" permission to the role (at the bottom of the "Edit Role" page)

May 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Thanks,  it works.    Now, in admin panel, my user see links.

1) Dashboard

2) Content

3) test blog - click and user can create new post on his blog.

How can I hide the Dashboard and Content link? It is misleading for user and I don't want to show this links to others.

I would like to add the possibility of users to manage your profile and other dedicated content. What should I do ?

1) Create a separate menu on the front-end and create widgets for managing the content.

2) Assign access admin panel and assign only access for dedicated content.

May 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I don't think you can remove the dashboard and content links.

May 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Can't remove content link - really?  How much work would it be to add this as a permission?  And where would that change be made - Orchard.Users module?  I have a need to give users access to only a few pages in the admin section, and permissions to change site content is definately not one of those.  

The other approach that I am seeing - which i'm not sure is the best - is to this is to link user role/permissions to pages on the front end section of the site.  These pages would be accesible from the main menu, but only show up if a user (with appropriate role/permissions) is logged in.  Not sure which way is better..

May 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

oooohh.. i see - the user cannot change any of the content.  ok well that's much better, but still would be nice to hide this link as ol3j mentioned so as not to confuse users who don't need to see that in the first place.  

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

If xou need to hide the links in Admin panel and you can't keep them from rendering (as Bertrand suggests) you could use a piece of javascript to simply hide them on the user's end. If permissions/security is not a problem, this is what I would do.