404 when browsing to root of orchard site

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
May 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Hi

I've just installed orchard onto my WHS2011 box as a new web site. It was working fine, until I attempted to import a blogml file from my wordpress blog.

The import said it had worked, however only imported a single blog entry, and after I published that entry, now every time I go to the site it returns "Server Error in '/' Application" http 404

I can try to go to a sub url, and if it doesn't exist it gives me the custom error page, which has links to the blog, and to log in etc. but even accessing the home link from there results in the 404.

What can I do to get the home page back?

 

Thanks

Matt

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Try to contact the author of the BlogML module. To get the home page back, you should probably restore a database backup.

May 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hi all,

I'll jump on board also...I too have the same problem. I was doing just fine after the install...adding a couple of pages and a post. Then, out of nowhere my home page now displays a 404 error. Where'd it go? I can't seem to figure this one out.

Anybody out there know how to fix or troubleshoot this?

Thanks much,

Alan

 

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I don't think that's the same problem, but both of you should check the logs in app_data\logs

May 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I should've added that that mine disappeared after a blog entry also.

When I get home today I'll check the logs and post what I discover. Fortunately, I am only in the initial setup for the site.

Thanks,

Alan

May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure its actually anything to do with blogml import though.

Here is the exception I am getting in the log:

2012-05-01 19:41:58,331 [8] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at Contoso.ShapeProviders.ContentShapeProvider.<Discover>b__3(ShapeDisplayingContext displaying)
  at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 19

I thought it might be to do with me installing and enabling the Contoso theme, so I changed it back to the default theme, but I get the same problem. However, the log file for this morning is empty. How much does it need to fill up the buffers before it writes to the log, or is there a way to get it to flush the log?

Also with regard to database backups, I haven't backed anything up yet, as it's a new install and all I was doing was attempting to import my wordpress blog. Would a backup of all my content be as simple as backing up the sqlce .sdf file? (I configured it to use sqlce on install) If I was to re-configure it to use sql server in the future, would it be the same principle, a db backup would backup all modules/themes/content/settings?

Thanks!

 

Matt

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Well, put a breakpoint in the content shape provider in contoso and find out what's null.

For backups, well, for SqlCe yes you can just copy the file, but for more advanced versions, you'll want to use the proper backup tools that come with these databases.

May 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I've just removed the whole virtual folder and re-installed orchard from wpi and its back working again. I've installed the modules and themes to try and reproduce the issue, but it seems to be ok now.

I'm new to orchard, so I'll get hold of the source and get a dev environment set up in case anything like this comes up in the future.

May 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Well, I deleted my App_Data directory and went through the initialization steps again. It seems to be working again.

Alan

May 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Just a follow-up...

This happened again, right after I was attempting to install a Contact form module. Turns out that the checkbox on the Blog Properties configuration page for putting the blog on the home page was somehow unchecked during the activation and deactivation of the Contact Form module. After I re-checked the box and saved, the 404 went away and I was back in business.