Install From Gallery Doesn't Work, Install From Computer Does

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I'm able to download modules to my computer (the nupkg files) and then upload them via the "Install a module from your computer" link. However, if I just click on "Install" for the module, I get the error:

Package installation failed: There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders.

However, obviously it does have access to write to those folders because uploading the nupkg file method works. The same situation is true for Themes - uploading it works, installing directly doesn't.

Any idea how I can find out what exactly the error is that's happening? The orchard-error files in the App_Data/Logs folder are all blank, so nothing useful in there. Maybe those shouldn't be blank and that's a further indication of something wrong?

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Looks like I answered my own question:

http://www.davidhayden.me/blog/fixing-the-orchard-gallery-feed-error-install-package-failed

Should have done better searching beforehand. Just the fact that it "sort of" worked had me confused.