Forms out of content types for the visitors

Topics: Writing modules
Apr 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I'm thinking about creation of forms which can be submitted by users. There are several modules, especially oForms which makes possible to create user forms.

Unfortunately it is not very user friendly from editor perspective (needs HTML knowledge). So I'm thinking to use Content types form generation for user at front-end. This will make form creation essential for the editor. I didn't find any module which use following approach.

What do you think, is it possible to make it without big efforts, is it worth it? The idea is the following:

1. Editor creates a content type and somehow mark it as editable/submittable for users.
  2. Editor put the content type into widget or other content type, to generate a submit form there.
  3. User is able to submit the form from the front-end (validation and format comes from Content Fields)
  4. After form is submitted, the content item created from user input. Optionally developer might subscribe to creation event and process the form input.
  5. Optionally, user is able to edit Content Items created by him.

In addition:

• Where to store such forms data? As it comes from the front-end is it save to store it in appropriate content part table?
  • There could be some additional "metadata" information, which should be filled by editor or software after the form has been submitted. It should be possible to hide/make non editable such fields in generated form (for example ticket status, or some progress which is not applicable for user editing).
Apr 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM ?

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Wow, this is really close to which I wanted to describe, thank you.

I wonder why it is not in the gallery?

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

It think it will be a core module for 1.5 (