Migration to 1.4 and backward compatibility

Topics: Troubleshooting
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Hello,

I've been using Orchard since 1.2, and I stayed with that version for a while. Two weeks ago I read about 1.4, so I tried to migrate, but no luck. I read all the migration documents, I'm aware of the migration module you have to use, but at the end of the process all my blog post were gone and I did not find a way to recover them . So I rolled back to where I was, and upgrated to 1.3.10, and everything was working. Tried again to migrate to 1.4 from there, no luck again, so I went back to 1.3.10, and I decided to keep it like that.

Now I'm trying to install new modules, but I experience a lot of errors. I tried Lucene module, I tried the Notification module, I tried Orchard.Email, all of them raise errors and leave Orchard in an unusable state, I have to delete them from disk in order to have things back running. From the errors I receive it's clear that some classes or interfaces have been changed and backward compatibility is lost. If you decide to break compatibility, I guess you should also block any module installation which requires an Orchard version number higher than the currently installed. Right now you can just install them, and the second after your website goes offline raising errors, and you have to go through a manual "guessing" process to fix it...

IMO, this process it too much a "trial and error" experience, a migration should be as smooth as possible, I have a few blog posts and I can handle it but I cannot imagine some big website with a lot of content having such an experience upgrading stuff.

Any advices?

Thanks

Wasp

Developer
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I believe these issues have been recognized and (some) are to be fixed with the next version of Orchard. Please see http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/348647#post811046 and post your ideas there (or even join our cause and help improving)

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to see those points are a priority, I think this is a very interesting project which deserves to be more stable when dealing with such steps. Thanks also for the invitation to contribute, it's really impossible for me now but I completely understand your efforts, maybe in future.

Wasp

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

As for modules, be sure to install the right version: a module for 1.4 that uses the 1.4 features won't run on 1.3.