Error message trying to upgrade to version 1.4

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hi!  I´m getting this error any time I started the Orchard.Web project from source code ( It happens with 1.4 downloaded Zip file the same as latest version of Source Control with TortoiseHG ):

<< The controller for path '/OrchardLocal/' was not found or does not implement IController. >>

I followed this article in order to upgrade from 1.3:

But it looks that I cannot simply copy my "Media", "app_Data" and "modules" folder contents into the new version.

By the other hand a new freshly Orchard project works pretty well (I mean, leaving Media adn AppData folder empty)

I´m sorry, I´m new in Orchard maybe I´m doing something wrong.

Does anybody know what´s going on? :(

Thanks in advance!

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This is expected. Go to /admin by typing it in the url, then follow the instructions.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I have no words to say you THANK YOU!

In release notes the info was very clear! 

..go to the admin section of the site (by appending /admin to the URL where the home page should be), then go to Modules and enable the feature.

I don´t know how I could be to blind. SO NOVICE ERROR!!! :(  Apologize Sebastien and thank you very much again.

I´m reading everything about Orchard, And I´m delighted with this amazing/enormous effort you are doing. I would like to help the community soon.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I had the same issue upgrading to 1.4.0...

- I followed instructions on Orchard documentation (i'm sure I read everithing 'cause I translated it to spanish)
- I toke care about go /admin manually but I got the same 404 not found message

I'm using WebMatrix to run the site, there're some extra point related with WebMatrix? Can any one figure out what can I try?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Yes, MemoryWebDev, had that same issue recently. Try to disable some gallery modules by renaming module.txt so that the module will not be loaded. Make sure that all modules are 1.4 compatible.
Nothing in the log files?

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM

@MemoryWebDev If there is a 404 on every page that usually means that something wrong happened and it prevents the shell from starting. As @geertdoornbos said - in most cases it's about custom modules that are not 1.4-compatible. 

Try looking in the /App_Data/Logs which modules are causing trouble and disable them. If those modules have been recently updated for 1.4 compatibility - update them and enable after that.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

@ geertdoornbos & @pszmyd: Thank you for responses!

I tried to do what do you suggest but; I couldn't find Modules.txt file, I looked out almost everywhere but i didn't find it... where about is suposed this file is?

Also I was reading the logs and I found references to Autofac, Lucene and Orchard.Experimental; the thing is that Autofac isn't a module (a .dll instead) and Orchard.experimental is disabled... only Lucene is active, so...

... I migrated everything but the Modules folder (I have not many custom ones and isn't to much work re-install again) then I navigate to localhost:local_port/admin and yeah, it promped me to the login form!

Compiler Error Message: CS1061: 'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<dynamic>' does not contain a definition for 'Resolve' and no extension method 'Resolve' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<dynamic>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Line 27:     Model.Header.Add(Display.Header());
Line 28: 
Line 29:     var thisUser = Html.Resolve<IAuthenticationService>().GetAuthenticatedUser();
Line 30:     Model.Header.Add(Display.User(CurrentUser: thisUser));
Line 31:     Model.Footer.Add(Display.OrchardVersion());

I'm a newie on ASP.NET so I don't now where start to look for, or figure out if is a module problem (like do you suggested) a authentication issue or something else. Any light about what road I have to walk would be apreciated.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Every module has a module.txt in it's root folder and all modules are located in the /Modules folder.

Google is your friend :-) it looks like code from /Themes/TheAdmin/Views/Layout.cshtml, but not from Orchard 1.4. Are you sure you copied (and replaced) all files from the 1.4 zip?