Deploying an OrchardCMS site built in WebMatrix on IIS6

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I am currently running into some issues when attempting to deploy a recently built Orchard site. The site was built entirely within WebMatrix, and when it comes to actually deploying the site, I followed the instructions listed here and then here.

The deployment server is running II6 and has .NET 4.0 installed.

So currently:

• I have the "Getting Started" Orchard page currently running at the proper web address.
  • I have a folder containing the entire contents of the site that is "finished" and I am trying to migrate to where the "Getting Started" page currently is.
  • I have attempted to copy the App_Data folder is instructed in the first listed instructional, however ran into unfavorable results.

Basically, I am wondering what the next steps I need to take are to get the site working properly. I was also concerned that since the site was built within WebMatrix (as opposed to Visual Studio) with some of the Dependencies and Module .dlls missing from simply "Copying" the sites contents.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I will be glad to offer any additional information that I can.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Could you elaborate on the unfavorable results? Are you seeing errors? Also, could you perhaps download the latest log file and see if any exceptions are being logged?

Also, are you using SQL Server CE or SQL Server?

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hi sfmskywalker,

Sorry for any vagueness with the initial question. I have since attempted to "start fresh" and I have currently just created a new Web Site in IIS in .Net 4.0 and basically have an empty root directory to place my files in (following with this). 

I am wondering if I should drop the "Stage" folder in there or not, as I have a complete "Stage" folder from the initial Orchard build as well as the contents of the folder that contained all of the site information from the finished site that was built in WebMatrix. (I attempted a web deploy, however I realized that I would need IIS7 on the server and that wasn't an option as of right now - so I simply copied the site directory and folders onto the server.)

I am using SQL Server CE, so I don't think that will cause any issues. 

I also believe that I will need to enable the "*" mappings for IIS6, is that correct? I haven't worked with Orchard or WebMatrix outside of my local machine, so I am slightly clueless when it comes to actually deploying it.

Thanks again.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Don't worry, thanks for the details. If I understand correctly, you want to know what exactly should be deployed to the webserver and whether you need to enable the "*" mappings for IIS6.

First off, you need to upload the entire contents of the Stage folder. It doesn't really matter whether you drop the stage folder itself or just it contents, as long as your IIS site points to the directory that holds the contents (directory and files) of the stage folder (such as App_Data, Config, Core, Modules, Themes)
So, if you uploaded the contents of the stage folder to a directory on the server with path "c:\intepub\wwwroot\MyWebsite", then you need to point your IIS website to that directory. If you uploaded the stage directory, for example called "MyWebsite", then the IIS site simply needs to point to "c:\intepub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\MyWebsite".

As for the "*" mappings, I believe that you need to enable it, yes. Although I have never deployed Orchard to IIS6 myself, I did deploy MVC applications to IIS6, and in order to enable extensionless URLS I had to enable that wildcard mapping.

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Thanks for you help Skywalker.

After tinkering with it for awhile, it appears some of the issues I was encountering were completely unrelated to anything involving Orchard :)