Losing Themes and Modules on Azure

Topics: Troubleshooting
Mar 1, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I have a few Orchard portals running on Azure, and they were running nicely for about a month.  Just recently I noticed they've been losing their custom theme and modules.  I reinstall them, and things look good again, but the next day they'll be gone again.  What's happening, and how do I fix this?

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Azure might recycle the package. If you did not include the themes and modules within the package, and installed through admin, then you are doing it wrong. Please take a look at the azure documentation for Orchard which explains it all.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Is there a way to disable installation of packages via Admin? If so, Azure users might want to have that option enabled by default. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

So I assume you are referring to this section: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure#DeployingOrchardtoAzurewithOptionalModules

I did see this, but for some reason hoped creating my own package wasn't necessary. Maybe just blind optimism that perhaps this referred to an older release.  Since it worked, and worked well for about a month.

Thanks very much for the information.  This is going to be far less convenient than just getting the Azure package off codeplex like I was doing :(

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

The instructions given for including modules and themes in an Azure deployment worked well. Thanks. the only thing I had trouble with was: make sure you make the package on a 64-bit machine, incorrect assemblies were pulled in when I first did it on 32-bit, and it gave a YSOD on Azure.

Not sure if it's my imagination, but I think the app is running faster now than when the modules and themes were incorrectly installed, would that make sense?  Although that could also be because of improvements in 1.4.  Thanks for a great CMS.