Custom Admin Interface and MobileCapabilities / Mobile Controls

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Feb 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Hi, I have been evaluating Orchard for last few days. Have couple of questions, mostly wrt mobile (XHTML) site development:

1. In Orchard, can we exploit the System.Web.Mobile.MobileCapabilities, build mobile form, utilize mobile controls provided by Asp.Net to achieve device specific adaptive rendering and content filtering. Basically extend Orchard to add some degree of device management at publishing time and later utilize the inherent browser based adaptive rendering provided by Asp.net at runtime?

2. Does Orchard exposes middle tier / data tier API's to create custom and richer drag n'drop, WYSIWYG admin user interface (Site Builder) on top of the underlying Orchard content management system?

thanks!

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

1. mobile controls are webforms, a completely different technology: Orchard is built on ASP.NET MVC. In any case, that approach to mobile sites is a little obsolete. I would recommend CSS-based media adaptations instead, which are easy to add to a theme. Frameworks such as jQuery.Mobile can also help.

2. No

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for your quick response. Media queries is certainly an option, but one of the application for me is to also support these old school feature phones XHTML-MP browsers, which do not fully support CSS2. I have worked extensively with mobile forms and xhtml adapters, so wanted to check if that is still an option using Orchard.

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

It's not, sorry.