Extensibility versus Solididty viz-a-viz Orchard CMS Versus Umbraco CMS

Topics: General
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

BEST WISHES FOR ALL THE ORCHARD COMMUNITY

Hi Orchard Gurus!

In this forum, once a Questioner was surprized to see that Mr.Hanselman (an MS Expert) had made a website out of umbraco cms. The Questioner  asked why this is so? Actually his preference was for Orchard cms. That was why he asked the question. Mr.Bertrandleroy replied that "Solidity" of Umbraco is the Reason. My quesion is " How an Orchard User can manage "solidity" our of " the Sea of  Extensibility of Orchard CMS"? I feel justified in asking this question keeping in view the claim made in the "Orchard Docs" that " Orchard CMS can be turned into any kind of Website".

As for my self, I speculate that the Core  Recipe is more solid than Default Recipe  and Default recipe is more solid than Blog recipe. But where the solidity ends? And conversely,  where the extensibility must end?

Thanking in anticipation.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I think you made up those quotes. That question was asked and answered in the comments of Scott's post on the new site. The decision to use Umbraco was made way before Orchard was even an option.

Now to answer your other question, in *any* CMS, the system will only be as robust as the modules you're using. It is indeed a trade-off between extensibility and robustness. As a matter of facts, when we debug Orchard sites, the problems often come from badly written modules. But you know, that's still better than a badly-written app.