Orchard in Visual Web Developer 2010 Express

Topics: General
Dec 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

For a reason I won't go into I cannot install Visual Studio 2010 on my computer.

I do, however, have Visual Web Developer 2010 Express installed. When I open the Orchard solution file, I get tons of the notices that" solution folders are not supported in this version" and the solution folder xxx will be displayed as unavailable.

I guess this means that if I need to compile a module, I will have to open the module's solution, is that correct?

ANyone have any tips on working on Orchard in VSWD2010Express?

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

i guess Orchard can not work in VSWD2010Express, cos only 1 project can be allowed under a solution

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM
infofromca wrote:

i guess Orchard can not work in VSWD2010Express, cos only 1 project can be allowed under a solution

There's no such limitation (I think there used to be was dropped around VWD 2005 SP1). However what it doesn't allow is "solution folders" which are just subgroupings of projects within the solution. Instead it shows all the projects in one big list, throws up a separate error for each solution folder, and shows each folder as a greyed-out item at the bottom of the projects list. Everything will still compile and work as normal because all the projects are there.

You can actually clean up the solution file to stop those errors, by just deleting those greyed-out solution folders.

I also only use VWD; so I can say it definitely works :)