Setting Up Module Development Environment with VS2010

Topics: Writing modules
Nov 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I searched for an article for setting up a new development environment in VS2010 for module development but haven't found one that just gets to the point and clearly explains the steps.

Is it true I need the Orchard source code? I don't want to modify the source, I just want to create modules in VS2010, debug them, package and deploy them.

Can anyone suggest a good up-to-date article that will help me set this up?

Thank you.

Matthew Pomar

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I have a similar concern. How would I go about opening my Orchard installation in Visual Studio as an MVC project. Currently I can only open it as a website. Visual Studio doesn't seem to recognize it as an MVC App the way VS does when you start and MVC App from scratch. How do you tell VS that this is specifically an MVC application as opposed to just a standard website? I have the Orchard enlistment installed and running but I don't really want that. I want to open my current Orchard install.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Seriously, all I can find are tutorials on how to create a module using the command line and notepad. Is this really how everyone writes Orchard modules... with command lines and notepad???

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Erm ... Visual Studio (Express) works fine for me, I don't get all the MVC helpers and wizards but Intellisense works fine. You need to use the Orchard Command Line to create a module, but then you can open that project in Visual Studio like any project.

Somewhere on here there was a discussion about how to fix your module's Web.config so you get the MVC right-click menus and so on (but I think there may have been certain problems with them fully working with Orchard modules).

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I get creating the module from the command line but where do you integrate the Orchard framework? I mean, don't you have to run the module in Orchard to debug it? If that is so, then how do you setup Orchard and the newly created module to run together?

- Matt

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

a) Create Module from Orchard command line

b) Run Orchard from Visual Studio in debug

c) Enable module in admin

^ That is literally it.