why my orchard website takes time to load ?

Topics: General
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM

why my orchard website takes so much time to load ?

I have a lot of websites on the same server and everything works fast and great but this orchard website takes forever to load.

using ARVIXE for hosting.

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

anyone ?

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Can you give more details - How long does it take to load? Is that every page or just when it first starts? Is your hosting shared or dedicated? What modules and features do you have installed/enabled?

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM
randompete wrote:

Can you give more details - How long does it take to load? Is that every page or just when it first starts? Is your hosting shared or dedicated? What modules and features do you have installed/enabled?

I can't provide url right now. But I can provide details like:

a-   It takes 20-30 seconds (sometimes more than that) to load the website first time, once it's load, the website navigation is fine. But when I try to open the website, at first time it takes forever to load up the website.

b- hosting is shared but my all other website works super fast. I am using ARVIXE with full trust level

c- The only additional module that I am using is "Contact us - Version: 1.0" - Rest I am configured website using default or pre-installed things that comes with orchard like creating pages, blog etc

d- I am using latest orchard 1.3 version

e- When I uploaded the orchard on my hosting server I know I rebuild the whole solution to refresh all the dll files in bin folder

these details are enough for catching the problem ?

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Unfortunately, this is a typical situation, on shared hosting at least. Orchard uses a lot of memory and CPU at startup which aren't usually available in abundance on shared hosting, even in full trust. It's just a side effect of it being an extremely complex and modular system, and doing a lot of sneaky things behind the scenes to enable all these scenarios. Your best bet is to a) use the "Keep Alive" module to ensure your website recycles as little as possible, so you rarely have to hit the warmup delay and b) Use the Warmup module to serve cached versions of pages during that loading phase.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM

alright...thanks a lot for the information

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:08 PM

what url I should use for keepalive scheduling ?

www.mydomain.com OR

Is there any option for keepalive service like : http://www.mydomain.com/keepalive/ping.ashx

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Any valid URL of your website, it's just so the AppPool doesn't go to sleep if the website isn't used in a while (the default setting is quite low).

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

thank you so much

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

@codeplex_user - did the Keep Alive module solve your issues? I'm also at Arvixe shared hosting and about to launch my site soon, so I want to avoid the performance issues :)  thanks!

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Keep Alive might not work if the hoster is doing hard resets of your apps, which they usually do. You might want to use the Warmup module which will serve asynchronous cached versions of specific pages while the app restarts.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

One thing to check with your hoster would be what causes the app to restart. It may be simple timeouts, but it may also be because of the application exceeding its memory quota.