Is Orchard really only for Small - Medium deployments?

Topics: General
Oct 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/TechDays-11-Switzerland/TechDays-11-Basel-Develop-and-maintain-CMS-solutions-using-WebMatrix-and-Orchard

I have just watched this video where a Microsoft representative comments on how Orchard CMS is designed for Small-Medium size CMS deployments. I am curious is this is the official Microsoft message regarding Orchard and whether there is anything that defines "Small-Medium" in terms of Concurrent Users, # of servers etc.  Or is it simply that Sharepoint is the preferred platform for Large Scale / Enterprise CMS deployments? From what I have seen with the mix of technologies, Orchard shouldn't impose any scalability restrictions that I could see if one were to use SQL Server Enterprise or Oracle at the backend and if the application were setup in an appropriate web farm deployment.  I suppose that the use of NHibernate could cause some scalability concerns, but I'd imagine that would be a solvable problem...I've seen a couple of posts indicating that there aren't any real hard metrics yet on performance.

Any comments on this? We are about to start a project that will be targeting clients that will have as many as 200,000 users in a webfarm deployment (not necessarily concurrent). We have existing products in place, so they have the hardware already, but we want to take our legacy ASP.NET applications and swap in a new front end that is build on Orchard.....

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

No, that's just Ken's opinion. I know of a few large-ish sites that run just fine.