Autocomplete tags

Topics: Core, General, Writing modules
Oct 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Are there any plans to add autocomplete functionality to tags? We'd like to add the ability for non-admin users to add tags to a content type, which would greatly benefit from such a feature.

If there is no development going on, I'm willing to start implementing it.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Go for it, we're not looking at that.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM

OK, I'll start make it as a patch in a fork. Is this OK?

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Two (or three) things:

- First we agreed that pull request would be accepted for open issues only, and as much as we like you, this one is not open yet ;) This is important to focus on things that matter, and not letting people think anything can be accepted.
- Second, keep in mind that Orchard is supposed to work without javascript too, so please make it unobtrusive. Please take a look at what I did in the Features page for the dynamic search. It's injecting the feature using Javascript, so if javascript is not here it won't show up.
- And finally, some little bribes always help to open issues 

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Good point. I should have pointed that out. Please open a bug first, send bribes and we'll approve it.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

To keep to the rules, I've opened an issue here. I plan to implement this with jQueryUI's Autocomplete so it can stay unobtrusive.

And finally, the bribe is that this feature is needed for a module that will be a crucial part of a special little site helping Orchard grow that Bertrand already knows about :-). By the way, we (as a team works on the said site and the module) plan to release the module to the public shortly after the site's launch.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I guessed so... Then I'll go into the corner and cry :-).

BTW currently the contributions branch is closed (and contains now outdated code). Should I update and commit to it anyways, or update to the default and commit to the contributions (thus opening it again)? The docs doesn't mention this scenario.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Please fork the default branch.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM