HTML Widget displays intermittently

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Oct 10, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I set up an Orchard site a few weeks ago and hosted it on GoDaddy, everything was working perfectly, I had my team test it for 2 weeks. Last week I added warmup pages to improve performance and then last Friday I noticed that the HTML widget that is on the right side of the page had disappeared. Clicking through the site a few times brought it back but then it intermittently disappears.

I cannot find a pattern but it does it on all browsers that I have tested (IE, FireFox, Safari and Chrome), I have tested on several machines and I can reproduce it on all of them. When the widget is missing and I view the source, it is simply not in the page content. It happens on all pages, even those that I did not create warming pages for.

Is anybody else experiencing similar behavior? Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

My site is: and it is running Orchard 1.2

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:40 PM

If you are using SQL CE and this is on a server farm, it may be bad replication problems.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Yes I am using SQL CE on shared hosting, it is just the widgets that are not displaying (I have 2 and they are both missing). I would expect replication problems to effect more than just an isolated section of the site.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Yes, me too, I'm just guessing from what little information we have here. Never seen that happen before. Could be some bad caching along the way too. Any caching module?

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

No caching module no, it is pretty much a vanilla install with a custom theme, there are 2 virtual directories within the Orchard files so I had to modify the web.config slightly but other than that, it's out-of-the-box. I do think it is an issue with the shared hosting because it works fine locally, with all the issues I've had so far trying to host on GoDaddy I am considering hosting on my own server.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Yes, I haven't heard many nice things about Orchard hosting on GoDaddy. Oh well, if you find what's causing this, please keep us informed.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I will, thanks.

On a side note, I really do like the Orchard project, I have been working with CMS's for many years starting with MSCMS and for an Open Source project, this one is very usable and I wish it a lot of success.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I haven't "fixed" the problem but it did go away, this is slightly annoying because I can no longer troubleshoot. The steps that I took that finally led to the widgets staying in place were:

• I completely removed the warmup pages because that was the last thing I did to the site before the widget disappeared (after a refresh the widget was still missing).
  • The site was slow again but the widgets came back.
  • Yesterday I added the warmup pages back in and then started testing the site every 5 minutes and then every 15, after a full day, the widgets are still there.
  • Today I have tested periodically and they are still on the page.