Generate po files fails for other languages the en-US

Topics: General, Localization, Writing modules
Oct 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I want to generate po files for all the languages i created withing the site but i only generates the po files zip for en-US. I think i tried all generate command to make this work but doesn't help. Somebody a clue?

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Can you explain what it is exactly that you are trying to do?

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I'm trying to create po files by commandline. the problem is that only generates the po files for en-US but i also want to generate po files for other languages. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I'm sorry, but it looks like you just repeated your first message. Can you explain why you are trying to do that, what is your goal in doing that? What are you ultimately trying to do that you think you have to create po files for?

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Without looking into the docs to refresh my memory, but I think the files are characterized by their name. So if your change that to include another standard culture name (like de-DE), it would then serve for this other culture. Of course you have to edit the file to include the actual translation, but its structure would be the same.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM

@Piedone yes that's what i've don't because i didn't find a solution who does this automatically. I basically want to generate automatically for all my modules and for each defined lanuage po files. so i don't have to copy paste rename them all manually.

It's not a major problem but i would be nice though.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I see. Your best bet is probably to write a small powershell (or another kind) of script to do that for you.

Are those custom modules or gallery modules? If they are gallery modules, you can also extract the English po files and send them to me. I would then add them to the online translation tool. That solution would be a lot nicer...

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:18 AM

yes i thought about that but i think it's easier to create an overload method or optional parameter to the generate command. But that's something the author of the module has to do. They are custom modules so they don't have to be visible in the gallery.

thanks for the suggestions guys.