Impersonation on IIS7

Topics: Installing Orchard
Oct 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Hi

Im trying to deploy Orchard to my shared web host. But im having problems with security rights. First they gave Network_Service write access to App_Data and Media. But i cant install new theme's and modules when there are no write access for Module and Themes.

What they told me is that they use Impersonation and that the impersonated user thould run in FullThrust mode and have full access to all the folders and files. I've tried to create an default ASP.NET MVC 3 application and added a Action where i can upload a file. This works fine and I can upload files and save them to App_Data.

My question is, do you have any idea why Orchard isn't using this impersonated user? Is Orchard actively preventing this somehow with the different abstractions it has?

Im told that the <identity impersonate="true" /> is set in configured in machine.config.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I don't know, but you can always install modules through ftp, if all else fails. If you rename a .nupckg file .zip, you can drill into it and extract the module directory that you can then upload into Modules.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Thanks for the answer. That solution will work for now. When i get more time i'll look into why impersonation doesn't work.