Integration with WCF Web API

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42 AM

I know that Orchard utilize the MVC area for its module platform.

However, the WCF wweb API (Glenn Block) may benefit the Orchard in builing some universal lego peices.

so that these lego pieces may be available beyond the Orchard app.

I asked Glenn to have Web API routing integrated with MVC routing so that it could be easily hosted by MVC.

He said that he would.  I am wondering if there is any attempt or discussion to use WCF Web API in building some Orchard modules?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Yes, there are currently some ideas around that ... as we share the same management it occured during the discussion. Nothing concrete right now, so if you have any idea in mind fell free to make suggestions.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:46 AM

The MVC area is fine as a base for modules. However, it is not straightforward for developers to follow through all the requirements such as route, migrations, drivers, handlers, and etc.

I feel that Orchard dashboard has very limited fault-tolerance with Modules.

Sometimes, I feel that a module is too much overhead for a simple functionality I need.

We may need another flexible option for developers to add a simple functionality programmatically.

WebAPIs may be a good mechanism for developers to add these RESTful services to the Orchard.

It may not necessarily need to be tied to the dashboard. (Restful Web APIs require a minimal coding to consume.)

We could consume these Web APIs not only in my Orchard apps but also in my other apps.

I hope that this is helpful. Thanks.