wildcard mapping for iis6

Topics: General
Sep 16, 2011 at 4:31 AM

G'day all,

I am having real trouble getting my head around this, so any further advice would be most appreciated.

I am deploying to an IIS 6 hosted server running .net 4.0, over which I have no control.

I have read the haacked articles on this topic (and related msdn articles) and came up with these conclusions :

1. In order to get Orchard to run on this server, I must implement wildcard mapping.
  2. To implement wildcard mapping I need to build orchard from code (as opposed to install from webmatrix)
  3. I need to modify the Global.asax file in accordance with Phil Haack's instructions.

Are each of these statements correct?

Where do I go from here?

I guess I'm further confused, because both before and after doing the above, it compiles and seems to run fine locally from the VS web server and I thought it wouldn't.

Ideally before get into doing any customisation of the website, I'd like to deploy a vanilla orchard install, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get to that point.

Any and all comments/suggestions appreciated!

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM

1. yes, like for any MVC app

2. no, I don't think that's necessary

3. What instructions?

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Ah, yes good point. I meant http://haacked.com/archive/2010/12/22/asp-net-mvc-3-extensionless-urls-on-iis-6.aspx instructions.

I might go back to basics though, because I've made too many assumptions and confused myself more than enough.

So here we go:

What steps do I need to make to get a vanilla install of Orchard to run under IIS 6?

Is there a demo/sample install where I can see a working version of this?

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Same as any ASP.NET MVC app, plus write permissions on app_data, media, modules and themes.