Very Slow Performance in Hosted Orchard Site

Topics: General
Sep 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM

I just got a basic Orchard site up and running on a web host. Everything appears to be working correctly, but it takes about 20 seconds to browse from one page to another. I mean that if I just click on Widgets or Media or something, I wait close to 20 seconds before the page appears. I assume this is not normal. Any ideas?

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 7:15 AM

This is not normal. Things to check:

* You compiled in release mode
* You are running in full trust
* You are using SQL Server, not CE
* Your host doesn't suck

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Excellent. Thank you so much. Great support... and on a free product!

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Did it help? Did you find a way to make it perform normally?

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I have not been able to test #1 and #2 yet. I’ll post results when I do. Thanks.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:45 AM

I attempted these steps.

1. I researched compiling in release mode, but if I'm not mistaken then this does not apply to me since I downloaded the zip file (and not the source) code. Is that right?
  2. I did set <trust level="Full"/> in the web.config, but it didn't seem to make any difference
  3. I have not tried changing to SQL Server. I would hope that the difference between SS and SSCE is not THAT huge. Could it be? I hesitate to change this because... well, I just like CE, but if you think it could make a dramatic difference then I will give it a shot. But then if it would make such a dramatic difference then why is it included as an option in Orchard?
  4. Not sure. Could be. It's re-invent.com. They seem good.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 5:51 AM

CE is usually fine, unless your host sucks. We seem to be converging. How does it work for you locally?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Performance is great running locally.

Are there performance logs in Orchard so I can do some navigation and trace the activity?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM

There is a mini profiler module that may help.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Thanks.