Categories on a ForumPart

Topics: General, Writing modules
Sep 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Hey All,

I am in the process of putting Categories in to my Forum modules, and have hit a stumbling block.

I first started to put 'Category' as a propert on to the ForumPart though this felt like it would cause a certain amount of duplication in the DB. I then decided to create a Part i.e. a CategoryPart, though this felt too generic to be in a Forum module.

How would you lot go about putting Category on to a Forum?

I have also looked in to the Taxonomy module, but it doesnt appear to do what I want.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Hi Nick,

Why are you thinking that the Taxonomy module won't work? I haven't had a chance to check out your Forums module yet (hopefully will get some time soon), but from what you're describing the Taxonomy module is the first thing I'd look at. That's pretty much what it's designed to do - provide categorization/classification of content items. For example, the categories of modules on the Orchard Gallery are based on a taxonomy. I've used it in similar ways on other projects too.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Hi Kevin,

Hmmm I had a quick look at the module and it just didnt appear to do what I was hoping... maybe I was using it wrong?

Do you know if there is any documentation on it? As I would much rather use another module for this than have to write my own code!

Cheers, Nick

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Sebastien has some documentation on the CodePlex site for it: And Bertrand made a quick video about it which is posted on YouTube: What are you wanting to do with it that you're having trouble with?