Newbie wondering if I am in the right place...

Topics: General
Sep 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Feeling a little overwhelmed here. I found Orchard by watching a podcast.

I have tried Wordpress and Joomla, and now I am here.

I want to create the simplest of websites, with a blog and video section and some simple forms.

I have downloaded Webmatrix and installed Orchard on to my own computer. I have gotten pretty far along and now need to just know some really simple things.

• creating space between pictures and text
  • adding my own logo to a theme
  • publishing the site to the web

Simple stuff like that. Am I in the right place? I feel dumb asking those questions here after looking at all the sophisticated problems people are posting about. Is there a section for super newbies like myself or should I be going back to Wordpress?

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

The documentation at, while not exhaustive of everything you can do, is pretty good and should help you get started.

I'm also creating a webcast course for Pluralsight, which will be an introduction to getting started with Orchard. That should be available around a week from now.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Looking forward to the webcasts

will you post or announce when they are available?

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, I'll post it on Twitter under the #orchardcms hash tag, and will put an announcement here on Codeplex too.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Although i assume kevink's webcast will be way more useful to you than this, i thought i'll share a few quick thoughts here.

• creating space between pictures and text
  • adding my own logo to a theme
  • publishing the site to the web

1.) creating space between elements is probably more of a .css question, rather than orchard specific, but you need both. Each Theme is split into Zones,  which are defined in Orchard. How they appear on the site, mostly relies on your .css file though. While Orchard is still new , css is widely spread out in the wild internet. For some .css tutorial checks this site out.

At first i wanted to point you to another site, which i just realized is only in german. They've suspended the english version. However, just incase you speak german, here you go.

2) Adding a logo to your theme can also be achived by .css or by simply adding an img in a Zone. If you want it to be more fancy ( from coding perspective ) you could also check out the branding.cshtml in the TheThemeMachine\Views Folder. basically what that does, is adding your sitename with a link to your homepage, but instead of a text you could also do a logo or something in there.

3) That would require webspace on server that has the necessary tools for it.

The minimum requirements for running Orchard are the following:

• ASP.NET 4
  • A web server such as IIS Express 7.5 or IIS 7.x.

Also see:

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM

My Pluralsight course is now live. I posted an announcement here: