Real world scenarios for Workflow

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:56 PM

This post follows the discussion on creating a Workflow/Rule engine for Orchard.

I am curious about what you would use this module to achieve. Let's compile a collection of common scenarios, that way, we will also make sure that this new feature covers most people's needs, and if not, we will know why. Of course, I do not expect the rule engine to be able to support these scenarios as-is; but it should be possible to build extra modules on top of it to achieve the scenarios.

I will start with the typical moderation scenario (similar to the one implemented here with Drupal):
A Writer (User Role) can create a blog post and save it as a Draft (State). Then, when he is done, he can set it to Review (State). At this point, all Moderators receive an email telling them that a blog post is in need of review. A Moderator can read that blog post and set it to Published (State) or Rejected (State). If it is Published, the blog post becomes visible on the public website. Either way, the Writer who wrote the blog post receives an email informing him of the decision of the Moderator.

Pierre Henri.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Commerce workflow: what happens to an order after it's been created.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Time-based workflow like:

1. "I only want to allow comments on my blog posts for 1 week"
When a blog post is published, schedule its comments section to be closed one week later.

2. Reminder part of a commerce workflow:
When an order is placed, if after one day it hasn't been paid, send a reminder to the buyer. And if after a week it is still unpaid, cancel the order.