Deploying to Shared Hosting - Assembly Reference Error

Topics: Installing Orchard
Aug 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Hi all,

I've been playing with Orchard for a few weeks and in have been getting on ok. I've just tried to deploy it to my shared hosting provider from scratch (which I have done once before), and I'm getting the following error:

The type or namespace name 'Mvc' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I've checked the root bin folder and all the dll's I would expect are in there (including Orchard.Core, Orchard.Framework etc). I've tried to recycle the app pool a couple of times with no luck.

I've built my site from the full source zip file, used the VS2010 publish command (Release mode) to publish it to a local folder and then transferred everything using FileZilla. Everything transferred fine according to FileZilla, and the files look fine fine on the server.

Any clues?

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Forget this - whilst it appeared all the files had transferred properly, some clearly hadn't! I ftp'd the bin folder over again and its appeared to resolve the problem.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I have had this issue too. What I noticed is that Filezilla has a specific tab at the bottom of the window called "Failed Transfers". Usually, selecting all the files in that tab and re-submitting them for transfer in the right click menu solves the problem.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Do the files in the src and lib dirs need to be on the root directory of the shared host?  Or can you unpack the .zip in the root which creates a lib and src dir?  I tried the latter first, leaving the default welcome.html in place and Orchard doesn't load.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

No, only src\Orchard.Web needs to be copied to the root of the site.