SQL Server Compact versus SQL Express

Topics: Installing Orchard
Aug 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I manage 20 websites and am looking at moving them over, from an old CMS system I built, into Orchard.

The sites are just typical business information sites (lawyers, dentists, plastic surgeons, etc.), have mostly static content, maybe 100 pages of content, a contact page, map, etc.

Would it be easier to use SQL Server Compact as the database for each of these sites, or would SQL Server Express be the better option?

I did a bunch of research, but I could not find how using SQL Server Compact would greatly effect performance.  However, I have never had any dealings with it and I wasn't sure if it is a viable option for websites with my needs.

Any help is much appriciated.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Hi,

For most scenarios and if available I use Full SQL Server, else use SQL Express, then SQL Compact in that order.

Take a look at this for a comparison between express and compact: http://erikej.blogspot.com/2011/01/comparison-of-sql-server-compact-4-and.html

thanks

Steve

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Thanks.  That is what I figured would be the answer.

Developer
Aug 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM

SQL Server Compact perf can be greatly slower than SQL Server / SQL Express especially with some hosters that provide lower performant IO (storage) solutions (for instance, shared hosters). If your hoster has a decent IO strategy, SQL CE should perform good enough for the types of sites you describe.