Is Orchard the right choice for this?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hi, i want to develop a website similar to the http://www.gsmarena.com , is that possible with Orchard? if yes, how can i do that? using content types?

thanks,

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Sure. I would start by reading as much as possible from the documentation, and look into the code of some gallery modules.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM

thanks for answering, that was fast :)

can you be more specific?

i need to set a lot of cell phones (i guess this is a content type), am i right?

and what else do i need?

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Well, you are basically asking me to write the specs for your site ;) A phone does look like a content item, yes.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM

no, am asking you to guide me. but w.e, "read the documentation as much as possible" and "look into the gallery" arent answers. dont you think? :P

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Well, they are. I'm sorry if that appears rude, but this is just too vague and too wide. Designing a site such as this one is a lot of work. So sure, I can tell you that there are news and reviews on this site that look like they should be content types, but that is not helping much is it? It looks like what you really need is a web designer whom you can pay to spend the time necessary to build the site that you want?

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I need to know if i can create the phones part using content types, as you can see here http://www.gsmarena.com/toshiba_windows_phone_is12t-4076.php there are features of the phone like size, memory, data etc, and they are in tables. before i read the documentation, should i use content types to create such thing? should i modify the theme to get similar look (content in table)?

sorry if my question is too vague, but i need an answer before i read the whole thing.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Those look like they could either be done as fields or as parts, depending on whether you are ready to do some coding, and whether those fields need to be searchable. I would investigate taxonomies, as lots of those fields seem like that's what they are. There is a video tutorial on taxonomies on the OrchardTV section of the documentation.

How you make it look in your own theme is up to you entirely.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM

okay i see now, thanks! see? was it hard to say that from the beginning? lol jk, appreciate your help :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM

This are similar questions to choose or not Orchard for an online journal/news site.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM

its not just a journal/news site, read the rest of the posts

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM

:) Well, it's a big site, with many different sections and features.