.po files need to be re-edited for each Orchard version?

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Localization
Jul 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Dear Orchard gurus!

First, I must say that I'm very excited and a big fan of the Orchard CMS you built. So THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! and glad to be the first Arabic developer using and extending the project for the company I work for.

As a need to localize the system for Arabic language users, I'm now building the Arabic version for the .po files, and I will of course contribute it back to the community, as many future contributions if possible. The problem is editing the .po files is very hard and a long time task, so do we need to re-edit or re-apply translations for the .po files each time a new version of Orchard released? or what?

Thanks again for the GREAT CMS... :)

Yours...

M. Kin.

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM

With each version comes new strings, but most of them do not change. You should only have to edit the difference. The online editing tool, for which you should probably get a login, helps a lot in doing that. Please read http://orchardproject.net/docs/Creating-global-ready-applications.ashx#Contributing_new_translations_12 for more details.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I was thinking to build a gallery module to help admin users see what words/phrases/strings have not been translated yet and enable them to translate them, and what strings are now out-dated, etc... Like some Drupal translation modules one of them I think called i18n.

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM

mmh, yeah, did you follow that link in my previous message? We have that already :) (although it's not a module, it's a section of the orchardproject site).

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I followed the link you posted, thanks.

I will today send the ar-EG.zip file to the e-mail address you wrote to contribute localization on, and I will also ask for an account on the online translation tool you provide.

still have some questions:

1. I now have translated the Orchard 1.2, when the next version released, will the online translation tool provide me with the old out-dated translation to edit/add only the differences, not the whole files?
  2. What about RTL? as Arabic language, as many others, be written in right-to-left, so the themes you provided and all on the gallery cannot render the layout correctly. I want the theme to handle situations like this: if the user selects RTL culture, the layout renders accordingly, and vice versa for LTR cultures. I think Drupal handles this by *.rtl.* part in the theme files' names to allow designers provide both files for RTL people and LTR people.

Thanks again, and have a wonderful day :)

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM

1. Yes.

2. We don't have specific provisions for RTL yet, but we have users in pretty much all the RTL cultures out there. So far, we've dealt with that with whole RTL themes, but something like what you suggest makes sense. I'll keep it in mind for next time we touch localization.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Glad to hear that! :)

BTY, How to be a partner for the Orchard project? as my company will develop heavily in the next months on the Orchard to build very generic multi-tenant CMS, that allow to share data and users etc... between tenants. Also some other generic CMS features like: Content field human-readable and localizable name, Core field types (number, double, boolean etc...), Multi-value fields as an option for every field (as multi-bodies), advanced search pages for each searchable content-type in the system, and many more features.

Also, when I e-mailed for the online-translation tool account, I was auto-replyed with mails from local Microsoft departments, one from my country, Egypt, and the other from Jordan. Isn't Orchard not owned by Microsoft? Does Microsoft intend to stop the Orchard in any time? Or stop gives it for free?

Orchard project as an open-source CMS is a weird project\product for the closed-source Microsoft, I think, and afraid to invest in it and finally face the ugly face of Microsoft.

Developer
Jul 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Orchard is not owned by Microsoft, It is owned by the Outercurve Foundation and has a Licence that allows to to do what ever you want with the source code... you could download the source code and sell it if you so wished.

Although Microsoft dont own Orchard, they sponsor its development, so even if Microsoft were to pull the plug on Orchard, Microsoft could not stop people using its codebase as the code is not owned by them - So no ugly face from Microsoft in that respect.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thanks Jestski for the answer, you know when you are in a crossroads decision, you must expect the worst :(

The question raises here: if Microsoft stopped development donation, can Orchard and its owner, Outercurve Foundation, still stand for continuing? Also, Microsoft donation is unconditional?