installing modules

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jul 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Just trying to install on localhost/Win 7/64bit.

Package uploading and installation failed.
Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\amql34rw.0.cs' could not be found error CS2008: No inputs specified

User permissions - Everyone has write access to Modules/Themes??

any ideas - is it supported in Orchard 1.2?

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Did you try other modules or is this happening only on this one?

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM

same error as with your favicon and bing maps modules (you were going to upgrade them)

However when I published the Orchard web to release build and then FTPd to my Windows 2008 server - it then let me install module ok. Must be a Win 7 ISS & localhost thing?

I have to say Orchard is great  - so much to learn and so generic/scalable its really pushing my .NET skills and forced me to learn MVC and HTML5 = good move

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Yes, there is something wrong with your local setup. Hard to say what from just seeing this error message though.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I tried again with the contact form module on localhost rather than the deployed site:

Package installation failed.

There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders.
Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\3jhxzspn.0.cs' could not be found error CS2008: No inputs specified

Permissions:

Everyone - Full Control

IIS_USRS - "" ""
Users - "" ""
NETWORK SERVICE = ""

It runs under ApplicationPoolIdentity  - its not possible to set permissions on this user as it doesnt technically exist, I changed its Identity to Network Service and same error.

It would be handy to be able to install module on localhost before deploying everything up to the live server.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

I don't think it's a permission issue. It would help to have the full stack trace.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

sorry - how do I generate the full stack trace for this?

i've added  <trace enabled="true" requestLimit="20" pageOutput="true" localOnly="true" /> in the root web.config of the Orchard.web folder but still only shows same error above?

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Do you see something in app_data\logs?

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM

2011-08-30 15:28:34,761 [5] Orchard.Packaging.Controllers.PackagingServicesController - Package installation failed.Orchard.OrchardException: There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\sanftosl.0.cs' could not be founderror CS2008: No inputs specified

Server stack trace:    at System.Xml.Serialization.Compiler.Compile(Assembly parent, String ns, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters xmlParameters, Evidence evidence)   at System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.GenerateAssembly(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, Evidence evidence, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters parameters, Assembly assembly, Hashtable assemblies)   at System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly..ctor(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, String location, Evidence evidence)   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultNamespace)   at NuGet.Manifest.ReadFrom(Stream stream)   at NuGet.ZipPackage.EnsureManifest()   at NuGet.ZipPackage..ctor(Func`1 streamFactory)   at NuGet.ZipPackageFactory.CreatePackage(Func`1 streamFactory)   at NuGet.PackageDownloader.DownloadPackage(Uri uri, Byte[] packageHash, Boolean useCache)   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.DownloadAndVerifyPackage()   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.get_AssemblyReferences()   at NuGet.PackageExtensions.HasProjectContent(IPackage package)   at NuGet.PackageWalker.GetPackageTarget(IPackage package)   at NuGet.PackageWalker.GetPackageInfo(IPackage package)   at NuGet.PackageWalker.Walk(IPackage package)   at NuGet.InstallWalker.ResolveOperations(IPackage package)   at NuGet.ProjectManager.Execute(IPackage package, IPackageOperationResolver resolver)   at NuGet.ProjectManager.AddPackageReference(IPackage package, Boolean ignoreDependencies)   at NuGet.ProjectManager.AddPackageReference(String packageId, Version version, Boolean ignoreDependencies)   at NuGet.ProjectManager.AddPackageReference(String packageId, Version version)   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageInstaller.ExecuteInstall(IPackage package, IPackageRepository packageRepository, String sourceLocation, String targetPath)   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageInstaller.InstallPackage(IPackage package, IPackageRepository packageRepository, String location, String applicationPath)   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageInstaller.Install(String packageId, String version, String location, String applicationPath)   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageManager.<>c__DisplayClass8.<Install>b__7()   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageManager.DoInstall(Func`1 installer)   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageManager.DoInstall(Func`1 installer)   at Orchard.Packaging.Services.PackageManager.Install(String packageId, String version, String location, String applicationPath)   at Orchard.Packaging.Controllers.PackagingServicesController.InstallGallery(String packageId, String version, Int32 sourceId, String redirectUrl)

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I'm asking around. I can't make sense of that for the moment.

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Apparently NuGet is creating a XmlSerializer that causes code generation to happen, which can fail if there is no writable temp folder. That would explain why it's behaving differently on different machines.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:26 PM

ok thanks! setting IUSR write permissions on C:Temp fixed this:

Successfully added 'Orchard.Module.Contrib.YoutubeField 0.9' to C:\Users\Sam\Documents\Phuture Design\Websites\2011\ITFWorldCup2012\Orchard.Source.1.2.41\src\Orchard.Web\

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Yeehaw! Praise David Ebbo, who found this after merely glancing at the stack trace.