Mac OSx Development

Topics: General
Jul 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Just a random question I thought I'd throw out to get some feedback since I'm in the market for a new laptop...

Has anyone tried developing an Orchard site on a Mac using MonoDevelop? Or has anyone used the Linux or Windows versions and has an opinion of it?

I'm seriously considering buying a new MacBook Air, but the one application I would lose that I depend on for Orchard development is Visual Studio.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I'm reading the documentation for Running Orchard on Mono right now and wanted to clarify my question that I'll still be running the production sites on a Windows server...I'm just looking at developing the sites on a Mac and then deploying to Windows.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I've had nothing but success with a Macbook Pro, running Parallels for windows based development.  Almost all of my clients have a mixture of the dual platform needs.  Although I don't develop Orchard projects using Mono, the ability to work seamlessly on both platforms is very nice.  I would be a little leery of the Macbook Air for such development as even Mono-Develop is a resource hungry IDE for all but the most trivial of explorations.  Indeed its size is sexy, but that size comes at a performance cost. Just my 2 cents, good luck!