Culture Picker Not Redirecting Properly

Topics: Localization
Editor
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I am experiencing the problem spoken about on this thread concerning the culture picker not always redirecting to the proper url. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. Any thoughts? For example, /products-services/news-es-es and I change the culture to french, it processes the culture change but the url remains the same.

CulturePickerVersion: 1.1.3.1
OrchardVersion: 1.1.30

Thoughts?

Editor
Jul 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

This ended up being a case sensitivity issue with the URL on line 31 of the Culture Picker Module. When you are switching cultures from an existing culture, if the url has "es-es" instead of "fr-fr" then it will not match a route for the  url. The ILocalizableContentService TryGetRouteForUrl() method returns false. I have seen mixed documentation on URL case sensitivity, but I fixed it by making all my navigation the proper case.

All working now.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Because some servers (Apache) have case-sensitive URLs, search engines do distinguish between differently cased addresses. That doesn't mean that everything should be case-sensitive, but it does certainly mean that one should be consistent in how it's cased in all and every link, as even one different link can result in SEO problems. This is yet another reason to never hard-code URLs in your templates, but always generate them with the proper Url or Html helpers: this way, they get generated from the route table and will always be cased the same.

Editor
Jul 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Well my issue was the navigation "Menu Widget" had the culture URL's as lowercase and not the "es-ES" format. I typed them in that way. Also in any HTML Widget's, were I directly reference pages this was an issue if I did not provide the correct case.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM, bertrandleroy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Because some servers (Apache) have case-sensitive URLs, search engines do distinguish between differently cased addresses. That doesn't mean that everything should be case-sensitive, but it does certainly mean that one should be consistent in how it's cased in all and every link, as even one different link can result in SEO problems. This is yet another reason to never hard-code URLs in your templates, but always generate them with the proper Url or Html helpers: this way, they get generated from the route table and will always be cased the same.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Thanks,

Arra

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Right, I was trying to address and clarify this: "I have seen mixed documentation on URL case sensitivity"

Editor
Jul 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Gotcha

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM, bertrandleroy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Right, I was trying to address and clarify this: "I have seen mixed documentation on URL case sensitivity"

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Thanks,

Arra

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hello! I'm trying to use Culture Picker but I have only negative results! First at all I have some navigation content type: Blog, Page, List, Photo Album... when I enable Culture Picker I can't see some of these content. I added Culture Picker part and Localization to them but no...my items disappear! I have 10 content type in the navigation bar but when Culture Picker is enabled only 5 of them are in the navigation bar. How can I see every content part? Do I need to add other parts to them? Do I need other modules (now I've installed Localization and Culture Picker)? 

thank you for your help!

fre

oh: another important thing: when I try to translate an existing page (for example ABOUT US page) at the end I have a totally new page writed in the new language I've choosen (for example if I've choosen italian language, I translate the ABOUT US page into CHI SIAMO page. Rather than having one page I have two pages: the old ABOUT US and the new CHI SIAMO). What have I to do for having only one page?

thanks again

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM

You should try to contact the author of that module through the gallery.