Orchard as social networking platform

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jul 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Hello guys,

I know Orchard is a great development framework, MVC and top Microsoft tecnology, in addition is open-source and I can manipulate the source code, its marvelous for the project I need to develop now, but I guess it lacks more social network technology.

I need to develop a system like a mix of Twitter and Facebook, with friendship relations and follow features, also add particular features that any other social system has... I would like to know how Orchard can help me in this situation, if I need to develop the friendship relations by myself if its very difficult, and wich systems I could use with Orchard to help me develop this in less time. Could you give me suggestions, please? If you can suggest me material to study social network database relations I'll be very thankful too =D

Another question I have about Orchard is, its like WordPress? I can add and remove any feature in any page? For example, I don't need the post date in my pages, can I remove in my new theme?

Thank you a lot.

Rubia

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I'll address your last question first: yes, you can add and remove things, although it's not exactly done like in WordPress. In the specific example you mention, that would be using placement.info.

About your first question, Orchard is not going to provide the features you are looking for out of the box, and you would have to build them. May I suggest a less ambitious project or several to get used to the platform and understand it first?

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Thank you for your answer bertrandleroy, I decided to develop this project using the Asp.Net MVC 3, EF4.1 and NuGet, you are right, better to get used to Orchard in a simpler project.

Cheers,
Rubia