Filefield not displaying in lists...

Topics: General
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Short story...My Link 'File Field' is not being displayed in my downloads list

Full story...I unzipped orchard, did a full rebuild in vs2010, regsitered the app with iis7 and exectued, all good and I was able to assign basic settings.
I added a Downloads page and an appropriate widgets layer called Downloads.

I then made my own Content Type of Download, I selected Common and Containable parts during create process and then added two fields...Description (TextField) and Link (FileField), the FileField offers a number of options, I selected Required, set Media folder to Downloads(which I created earlier), left the help text empty and chose _blank. Saved the new Download Conent Type.

I created a new List called downloads containing the new Download content type, also selected this to show on admin menu.

After creating a new download by choosing a pdf and giving it a display text of testpdf, a description of 'test pdf file', I then published it. I noticed straight away that only the description field was shown in the manage downloads listing & not the link filefield, I clicked view on the new download item and both the description and the link filefield were showing and working as expected, back to dashboard, selected widgets, then selected Downloads layer, I added a container widget to the content zone, gave it a title of Downloads and accepted defaults on the other settings. Clicked your site and then downloads from the menu...

I now only see the description field with no link filefield, am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Many thanks

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Looks like a bug in the file field. Who built that?

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I created the file field.

I dont fully understand what you are saying...

I basically ripped of the Sébastien Ros's Image field and made some changes to make it work for a file instead of a image. I've tested it many times without issue, and I know of other using it without issues.

Having said that If i can help I will...

From what i can gather from what you are saying, its works fine in the front end, its just does not correctly show a link to the file in the admin section? One thing to try as I havent tested it for a while is that if you don't specify a media folder i.e. just leave it blank so it uses the default for the content type that it behaves the same.

If you can outline the issue a bit more maybe i can help further...

P.S. I see there is a Media Picker Field, I'm not sure if this acheives the same thing as the file field but its created by Sébastien Ros might be work a look if you can not get it to work.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM

FYI, the media picker field mentioned here lets you pick a file from the media picker popup, and you can also upload a file from here. It just renders a link by default, and should be customized for each each to define what html to render.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hi JrMurdoch,

Thank you for responding...

I think I may have over complicated my explanation...I'll try again...

I have created a new content type called Download, which included two fields, Description (a TextField) and Link (a FileField).

I then created a list of the new content type called Downloads and included this in a Page via a Container Widget, I added Items to the Downloads List, when viewing the front end page I can see only the descriptions in the list but NOT the Links. The admin listing is the same, but if you select an individual Item for viewing from the content in dashboard the Link shows!!

I tried debugging the app by looking back through the call stack and was astonished at the convoluted and complex code...I became very lost, but did find out that the Link Shape is never sent to the renderer.

Changing the default media folder had no effect, still same issue.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated...thank you

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Hi Sebastienros,

I have just tried the Media Picker and it also has the same issue, not showing in Dashboard, Content, not showing in Front End Page, but it shows when you select view from dashboard, content and pick view on the specific content item (a download item in my case).

I'm new to there a way or convention to upload images or videos to these discussions?

Thank you

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I think I understand. When a list displays some content items, it displays the Summary version. When you click on a specific content item, then it display the Detail version. By default, those fields are configured not to show in the summary. It's just a configuration, in the file of these modules. You can override it in your Theme's placement file. If you look at the original file for ImageField, you'll see

<Match DisplayType="Summary">
    <Place Fields_Contrib_Image="-"/>

Just add those lines in the of the theme:

<Place Fields_Contrib_Image="Content:10"/>

And it will show at relative position 10 inside the content.

You can also define it for a specific field like this:

<Place Fields_Contrib_Image-THEFIELDNAME="Content:10"/>

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hi Sebastienros,

Yes you were absolutely correct, it was the, I made the changes you suggested and it now works as expected, thank you.

Regards BigFella59