Orchard Branching Strategy

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Jun 30, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Orchard Team: I am about to embark on a major new site implementation based on Orchard, hosted in Azure and I'd appreciate your guidance.

I want to be sure that my assumptions about the Orchard Branching strategy are correct:

• Default: Contains the current, clean, tested and supported version of Orchard. I assume that resolving issues in this branch takes priority over almost all other work.
  • 1.x / 1.n: Branch used when driving towards the next release of Orchard which, when completed, will be merged into default.
  • Dev: Branch in which current dev work is being done. Somewhat volatile, may include partially-complete work. May break without notice.

My qeustion is: where is the 1.3 branch? 1.x which incorporated 1.1 and 1.2 is "inactive" (according to "hg branches"). I'd assume that a 1.3 branch whould have been forked from default once the final 1.2 merge was completed. I'd also assume that code destined for 1.3 is merged from dev into 1.3 after feature/sub-feature is completed, tested and stabilized. When 1.3 is complete, I assume it'll be merged into default, 1.4 gets forked and the cycle repeats.

What am I missing?

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM

There is no 1.3 version scheduled at this time.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Okay, so there'll be a 2.0 branch, or come branch numbered according to the next version, right?

In the meantime, is default == 1.2 stable and supported?

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Yes.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Cool. Thanks.

Any indication when we can expect the 2.0 branch to appear?

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 5:18 AM

That's dev for the moment.