Excessive use of h1 tags

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Jun 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I'm somewhat confused about the excessive use of H1 tags throughout the built in orchard templates.  I don't know all of them off the top of my head, however the two that I run into regularly are widget titles (~/Modules/Orchard.Widgets/Views/Widget.Wrapper.cshtml) and routable titles in summary (~/Core/Routable/Views/Parts.RoutableTitle_Summary.cshtml).  Is there any reasoning for this?  It's bad form for many reasons, including SEO & ease of theming. I can enter a issue in the tracker if there really is no good reasoning.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Well, actually, that is the proper way of doing things in HTML5: http://diveintohtml5.org/semantics.html#header-element

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Interesting, I hadn't read about that.  Thanks for the heads up.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM

wow that is interesting. 

I still need to figure out how all this html 5 stuff will affect older browsers (what happens to a <header> tag?), but i sure do like it overall. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Older browsers don't mind if you include tags they don't understand; html has always been kind of vaguely defined anyway, and unrecognised tags are usually just treated like divs. CSS and Javascript still "just works".

From an SEO standpoint, html5 is absolutely the way to go. It's worth knowing that one of the authors of the html5 specification happens to also work for a certain well-known search engine ;)