Exposing WCF Data Service (OData) in an Orchard Module

Topics: Writing modules
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Hi there,

I can expose a regular WCF service from an Orchard Module.
Now I need to expose a WCF Data Service from an Orchard Module and am having trouble getting it to work.
Has anyone done this?
Is there any module that does this?

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Got this to work.
In case someone else needs it, this is how I did it.
The main difficulty I was having was using OrchardServiceHostFactory. When I used DataServiceHostFactory it just worked.
Using DataServiceHostFactory did not require me to modify the svc file (nor codebehind).

To register the DataService:

private static ServiceRoute _route2 = new ServiceRoute("Services/Test",
                                              new DataServiceHostFactory(),

public IEnumerable<RouteDescriptor> GetRoutes()
            return new[] {
                     new RouteDescriptor {   Priority = 20,
                                            Route = _route2

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

What is the source of your data? I think the drawback of using DataServiceHostFactory directly is that your service is not integrated with Orchard’s IoC container.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM

It's an EntityFramework 4 EntityModel.
I could not get it to work using the Orchard HostFactory. But for this particular case it is not a problem, as this module is pretty much isolated from Orchard. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

santiagoIT no problem for you then, but generally both OrchardServiceHostFactory and DataServiceHostFactory extend the same base class: ServiceHostFactory.

Looks like what is needed is OrchardDataServiceHostFactory which extends DataServiceHostFactory.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM

When you added your route using ServiceRoute, did IIS require you to enable ASP.NET compatibility mode? As soon as I add a ServiceRoute class I get a YSOD containing this error:

ASP.NET routing integration feature requires ASP.NET compatibility. Please see 'http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731336.aspx' on how to do this.

Enabling ASP.NET compatibility requires a change to the root Web.Config of the site. Since I'm trying to add my WCF service to a module, I can't change the root Web.Config. Any thoughts?

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hi there,

This is how my root web.config looks like.

<behavior name="">
          <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" />
          <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="false" />
    <serviceHostingEnvironment multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/>

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Thanks for the response. When I copied your sample XML into my root Web.config my service started working. I'll proceed like this for now. I just wish there was a way to do it that did not require modifying the root Web.Config since my web service is in a module. Apparently the module Web.config cannot enable ASP.NET compatibility mode. I guess I'll just have to include some documentation with my module telling the user how to manually modify their Web.config file.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM

@moorster, In my case I needed to modify the root web.config anyway => EntityFramework will search for the Connection String in the root web.config. My module is for internal use only.
In your case, as you are building a distributable module, you should try to set that value programatically.

Please let me know if it works. If it does I'll see if I can set the EF ConnectionString programatically as well, and leave the root web.config untouched as well.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Great suggestion about setting it programmatically. I have been looking at ways to enable Asp.Net Compatibility programmatically but no luck so far.

I was able to reduce the necessary XML snippet down to this:

<serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true"/>

Then I thought, hey, maybe I can create a custom Orchard command that is run during setup, perhaps in a module recipe. I did a little research and I figured out that it is theoretically possible to modify the Web.Config file programmatically at runtime. I tried adding a command to my module to do this but I ran into the problem that my module won't even compile if the aspNetCompatibilityEnabled flag is not set. So I have a bit of a catch-22 going on. I think my next step will be to create a separate module that enables Asp.Net Compatibility, then have my module depend on that module. It's crazy enough that it just might work.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM

good luck!
Let us know what the outcome is!

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Ok, it seems to be working. I created a little module called AspNetCompatibility containing a single command: enableaspnetcompatibility. It just contains the following code:

public class EnableAspNetCompatibilityCommand : Orchard.Commands.DefaultOrchardCommandHandler
        [CommandHelp(@"Enables Asp.Net Compatibility by modifying the site's root web.config file.")]
        public void EnableAspNetCompatibility() 
            Configuration config = System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration("~");
            ServiceModelSectionGroup serviceModelGroup = System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceModelSectionGroup.GetSectionGroup(config);

if (serviceModelGroup.ServiceHostingEnvironment.AspNetCompatibilityEnabled)
                Context.Output.WriteLine("AspNetCompatibility already enabled for ServiceHostingEnvironment");
                Context.Output.WriteLine("Enabling AspNetCompatibility for ServiceHostingEnvironment");
                serviceModelGroup.ServiceHostingEnvironment.AspNetCompatibilityEnabled = true;

if (serviceModelGroup.ServiceHostingEnvironment.MultipleSiteBindingsEnabled)
                Context.Output.WriteLine("MultipleSiteBindings already enabled for ServiceHostingEnvironment");
                Context.Output.WriteLine("Enabling MultipleSiteBindings for ServiceHostingEnvironment");
                serviceModelGroup.ServiceHostingEnvironment.MultipleSiteBindingsEnabled = true;

It seems to work. I'll have to finish my other module before I can test the dependency, but it seems to be working in isolation. I could contribute this little module if it helps anyone else.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:50 AM

@moorster I'm very interested in your module could maybe sent my the source or and publish module? I've mailed you. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Hello. Could you please describe in details, step by step how to configure module for hosting WCF service? I have tried everything but still have no results. Here my discussion http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/266930. Many thanks.