Orchard in development shop environment

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Hi all,

We are a small dev shop and have recently broadened our horizons with a couple of new web devs. We've been evaluating CM Systems and are excited by the Orchard implementation. We'd love to go with it, but frankly we're a little confused as to the best way to set it up in our dev environment!

Specifically, we'll be developing websites for many SMEs and in many cases they'll want them to manage their own content, once the basic site is up. Let's assume then that we want to use Orchard for all these sites. I think our main confusion stems from the fact that one installation of Orchard can only be pointing at one database, which would imply that each site would use its own implementation of Orchard; not great for future updating if you've got many clients!

Presumably there's plenty of dev shops doing just what I'm asking; so what's the best (or recommended) practice please?

Many thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

There's a "Multi Tenancy" module which allows one Orchard installation to host a number of domains, each using a separate database.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Or the same database with different table prefixes...

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hi, thanks for your responses. In both cases however the assumption would be that all my SMEs end up on the same hosting provider (us as reseller perhaps). In the situation where an SME has obtained their hosting elsewhere, then how would deployment be handled for their site from OUR development multi-tenancy setup? Presumably there'd be a few more steps involved?

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM

But the question you were asking was about how to update multiple sites at once; if they're on different hosting providers then of course you have to update them separately, wouldn't that be the case with any framework? (Unless you started writing scripts to automate pushing files up to various different FTPs...)